18 July 2009

An Introduction To James

Welcome to my first blog. There has been a lot of going's on in and around the Internet the past few years regarding blogging and its effect on everyday life. Everyone seems to be so totally consumed in blogging that until now, I held my own and limited my postings to Facebook and my views on movies between friends. As times change and progress, so must I.

Why "Grenglish Productions" you may ask yourself? A long story short, I am an English national who moved to the island of Cyprus in the Mediterranean Sea when I was very young, and grew up in a Greek-Cypriot environment (One that I love). On a daily basis internationals and locals alike will use a combination of Greek and English in a single sentence, for almost every conversation, also known as "Grenglish". This more or less covers my English roots and Greek lifestyle in a single word, so decided it would be most appropriate, regardless if it's easily understandable to those who have not heard it before.

As with advertising, the film industry is a popular job (understatement of the century), with everyone under the sun wanting to be the next Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks, Johnny Depp and Paris Hilton (well maybe not that one...but still!), and will do anything to gain a bit of fame.

I have always loved film but decided to study Advertising and Marketing Communications for my undergraduate degree. Adverts for me have always been miniature movies, so MA Producing Film and Television was the next logical step for me.. I always envisaged producing spectacular advertisements such as the Nike football first-person camera and Smirnoff Purified advertisements (see below), to name a couple..





I just never believed that I could succeed in a tight-knit industry without any contacts or previous experience, but after doing my highly-competitive Advertising and Marketing course, I've realised that anything is possible. Advertising is the other dream-job that everyone seems to think they would enjoy for a change of scenery. The sad thing is, some agencies take on students with law degrees over actual advertising degrees. While this may be seen as a moulding technique by some agencies to produce their perfect employees from different backgrounds, it would be far more profitable and less time consuming to employ those who have trained over three years to produce the best results. (Hint: Choose Bournemouth University Students.. We know what we're doing!)

From a young age, I have always enjoyed watching movies and have been fascinated at their production from an acting and cinematographical point of views. I relished tasks during English class between 12-15 years old that included group amateur movie-making, where I often wrote the scripts, filmed, directed and edited the final movies on VHS tape. Whilst this was an amateur attempt at film producing, I believed that this would be a fantastic career choice at some point in my life, which led me to the world of advertising as explained earlier.

Unlike most of my friends, since the invention of the DVD with its vast memory capacity capabilities, I always watch the “Making Of” and “Behind-the-Scenes” in every DVD extra that is available on the films that I own. I also took part in countless school plays, with my first speaking role arriving at aged four. Whilst still in Junior School, I was even lucky enough to play a lead role by the age of ten in the Senior School production of the Water Babies. In my mid-teens, other roles included Mr. Bumble in Oliver, and two roles in The Wiz, thus establishing the acting and production industry in my life from a very young age. I believe that television and film is a natural step up from this process and participating in a few student films during my undergraduate years intensified my love for the course at Bournemouth and the industry in general.

This blog will include links I find interesting and hope you do as well, in addition to my personal views on various blockbusters and lesser-known indie films I come across. It will also include a diary-like progress report on my own film shorts for my course and hopefully generate discussion amongst you, my subscribers.

I've only got one chance to attempt to break into the film industry and hopefully by reading this blog you will get to know a bit about my character (almost impossible from text alone) and how I plan to "make it" and become a house-hold name (here's hoping... after all; what's the point if there's no ambition eh?).

Cheers,

James

No comments:

Post a Comment