24 July 2009

Advertising: Shock Tactics - Safety Belts

My second post on this blog covered Australian Vs UK road safety government advertisements, and I would like to take the opportunity to extend this section into safety belt advertisements. Again governments like using shock tactics to convince people to look out for not only their safety, but of those their friends and families as well as means of getting their messages across more effectively.

Before I divulge into advertising from a purely British perspective, advertising of which you are more than likely to have come across, I would also like to bring you an advertisement from Lebanon which literally made my hair stand on end. This is an advertisement which should be played around the world in my opinion:

Heaven Can Wait



Heaven can wait is a message which sent shivers down my spine and gave me goosebumps, which if viewed with full attention, I'm sure was the same for you as well. The fact that the "ghost" was trying to release the soul by pressing the belt-buckle unsuccessfully due to being a non-entity, was in my opinion, shudderingly effective.

The following advertisement is one which you will have come across on television in the UK regarding a scenario of pre and post buckling up in the car:

Seat Belts In Reverse



I find this advertisement extremely effective for youngsters who have just passed their tests or are not paying attention in their entirety when driving with friends. Everyone, myself included, can admit to being pre-occupied when friends are present in the car and only due to being brought up with a strict "have you got your seat belt on?" policy, have I made sure that all of my friends "buckle up" before I set off on my journey.

One of the most effective at the time in my opinion was the following seat belt advertisement:

Julie's Killer


What made this advertisement really hit home when I first witnessed this advertisement as you do not expect the outcome due to the narrative process. I found myself sitting there, watching and wondering who this killer was in the suspect van following the family. Was it their father, uncle, aunt or dodgy neighbour? Alas, it was simply the lack of seat belt and I feel that how the narrative deters the viewer from the actual cause of death was extremely realistic and powerful in its nature.

More recently, the following post-watershed advertisement is one which those that live in the UK will have come across and were probably shocked by:



This advertisement in my opinion is less effective than the Lebanese advertisement in the sense that, although it was graphic and made me take notice, it had less stopping power.

Which of the advertisements were the most effective to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment