16 October 2009

1st Week Of MA Producing Film & Television

When I got accepted on my Master's course at Bournemouth University, I was extremely excited as to what the world of film and television would hold for me. The only experience I had encountered included working as an extra in my friends' minor and major projects for their BA Television Production courses.

As I mentioned in my introduction, my background is purely theatrical (from an acting perspective), however I still believe that this puts me in good stead when it comes to directing and guiding my actors and actresses in the direction I want my productions to go.

I have had friends studying their masters at this University from the first year of my Bachelor's degree, and on the most part I never really heard many having to do that much work in their first terms. After having a chat with the lovely people at the Media School's Support Desk (where we pick up our equipment) it turns out that for the first time ever, the MA Producing Film & Television course would be throwing everyone into the deep end to see what we were capable of.

Usually it takes 3 or 4 weeks to get into the swing of things, allowing room for the settling-in period to come and go, making new friends and maybe...just maybe enjoy a little bit of a social life at the beginning before being cast into the flames of gruelling work. Alas this didn't happen...

Our first day (Tuesday 29th September) included the usual fun of enrolment and welcome to the Media Academic Group, welcoming us to the University, life in Bournemouth and tutors etc. Apart from meeting my new tutors, most of it was irrelevant to me as it's not like I have had to move Universities. In a way I feel that, whilst I had apprehensions of staying on at Bournemouth at first due to wanting a new English experience, I'm extremely happy I have stayed on. I have not got new surroundings to learn, I do not have to worry about not knowing anyone as a lot of my friends have returned for their final year of their 4 year courses, and I can also help settle in new people where I can. In a way, I'm luckier than those who have just moved here, especially when it came to the first hurdle of the year.

The lecture introducing the Media School Masters students to their new tutors found everyone (bar the Radio Production and Multimedia Journalism students), having to be put in groups of 5. The task was to write, produce, film and direct a 2 minute soap opera webisode on the University due the following Thursday (8th October at 10am)...

Welcome to Bournemouth University people!

2 comments:

  1. Just remember we are all in the same boat and you are privileged in already knowing your way around uni and the resources that are available. I hope the year goes well for you and achieve your goals and meet your expectations of a Masters degree. I am sure you'll find a way to fit in your social life too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Georgina. I totally agree with you. I also like to help people when they have questions, whether it is about where to go out on a Tuesday, or where the Wallace Lecture theatre is. I would expect the same of someone if I went to another university and I was new in town. You get what you give in my opinion.

    Good luck with everything you are working on as well and I'm sure I'll find time to have asocial life as well. After all... those who ahve never lived, never have a decent story to tell... and what kind of film maker would that make me?

    ReplyDelete